14 Aug 2013

I propose a toast

Today's post has been so overdue but I can finally bring you my latest 'Sew Happy' creation. I started making this dress over a month ago and I've been so busy I only got around to finishing it just last week. I'm so happy with the finished results that I've already worn this dress twice in a week! 

I was simply over the moon when Simplicity got in touch with me back in June. This was an incredible honour as I am forever using their sewing patterns and I did write a post on a previous pattern I used (for this skirt here) which they happened to read. When looking through their hundreds of patterns I was really inspired to make a fun and girly summer dress. I chose pattern 6776 and after much deliberation I decided to go with option B. 


One of the best pieces of advice I read in a sewing book was to only buy fabric you love. I know this sounds really trivial but I have since come to learn it's the first rule of sewing. The sheer volume of hours and effort you put into a sewing project aren't worth it if you don't LOVE your fabric. 


I take no credit for the fabulous toast print; I first saw this amazing fabric on my print-loving-twin Sammi- From The Soubrette Brunette here. Sammi and I both have a similar taste in quirky prints and when I saw this dress on her I just knew I had to have it in my life! Alas, at that moment in time Modcloth had sold out and it was not meant to be. I didn't give up and after much research I was delighted to discover it was a Robert Kaufman print and UK fabric store sold it online and then- almost like magic- a week later it went on sale! SCORE!


My favourite element of pattern 6776 has to be the waist panel which for my pear-shape-body-shape is perfect. Fit and flare dresses are my favourite style of dress to wear especially in summer. What is also a great bonus about this pattern is that you have so many different options to chose from- added belt, thicker shoulder straps, v-neck, scoop etc. I hadn't made a v-neck dress before so this was a first. For me the bodice part of making the dress took the longest as the fit had to be perfect.

If you are thinking of making a dress I think this is a fantastic summer style that can also be made to look retro. I prefer my dresses quite long so I had this just above the knee but the length is adjustable to suit any personal style. I received dozens of compliments at work that day from people asking where I bought my dress, which really was the cherry on the cake. If you've ever made anything before, you'll know you really cannot beat the feeling of saying "Thank you! I made this" when someone compliments your outfit. 

Dress- Fabric from Frumble
Dress Sewing Pattern- Simplicity Sewing Pattern 6776 

Stay tuned I plan to do a step by step sewing tutorial of how to make your own apron in the next week or sew!

x Rebecca 

16 comments :

  1. You look beautiful Rebecca! That dress is gorgeous, the pattern is so cute. I wish I had the sewing skills to make something like that, it's amazing! xxx

    holljc.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love their dressmaking patterns! This dress you've made is lovely and the photos of you and the bubble gum are CUTE

    Francesca xo
    www.yummylikecake.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so talented! Love the dress :)

    Melanie
    Editor of Whim Online Magazine

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so talented! Ii'd love to learn how to make my own clothes but I just don't have the time!
    This dress is absolutely lovely, the colour suits you so much. That fabric is just darling.
    Danielle xo || Lilyofthevalley

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this dress, I always get tempted to sew my own clothes but never have te time, I might have to start making skirts though as our local fabric shop has some gorgeous prints at the moment xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Twinny, you are so sweet to mention me! I love the colors in this print, and the fit and silhouette are fabulous on you! I'd definitely love to read a sewing tutorial from you, my dear -- I'm desperate to learn!! You're simply the prettiest.

    xox Sammi
    www.thesoubrettebrunette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cute and quirky print. I can't say I've even seen toasters printed on a dress before. Also, I was thinking that you should totally design a matching two-piece outfit.
    Love the photos of you blowing bubbles by the way. So sweet! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cant believe you made this! its amazing love the fabric pattern!

    virgosandkisses.blogspot.co.uk x

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a fantastic job! Alex

    tobebeautifulingodseyes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! I'm so happy I found your wonderful blog, I'm now your newest follower on bloglovin' and looking forward to catching up on all of your adventures! :) xx

    www.lemon-freckles.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're just so clever, how amazing are you. The dress is so sweet, love the print and the style. The bubble gum photos are so cool too, just lovely <3

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, you are so talented and creative! This dress fits you like a glove and is so so cute! Love the bubblegum shots!!

    Xo, Hannah

    sweetsweetnoir.net

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're so talented! I love the shape of this dress and that toaster print is so cute. It would pair well with my pancakes tattoo lol.

    Mabel
    Life of Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have I ever told you, you are genius?!
    I love this dress, it's perfection!!!!!

    http://coeursdefoxes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this dress. I want to make my own! :D Thanks for the inspiration.

    C.C.

    http://rosecolored-telescope-eyes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely outfit! I wish more women would wear feminine vintage clothes...

    ReplyDelete

Go on be lovely and drop me a comment full of sweet cinnamon. Don't be shy to follow and or message me on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram too! x

blog design by
MM
Sharing is caring- all photographs on the blog are taken by Rebecca Tan unless otherwise stated.
If you wish to use any of the following photographs please do not use without my permission or crediting
to my blog The Cinnamon Slipper.
Powered by Blogger.
Pin It button on image hover