10 Jun 2014

See? He's her lobster!

Lobsters, lobsters, lobsters, the little shellfish loves of my life. The obsession I blame my Mother for. She's equally as mad about them (she even has a little plastic figurine of one on her bedroom shelf). From the moment I tasted my first one years ago when I was a mere 12, they instantly became my favourite food in the world.

I should also ironically note that they are also my favourite food. Messed up right? Now as a tradition on my birthday Jonathan always treats me to a birthday lobster. Last year I had one in Brighton and before that in Turkey and of course this year in Kefalonia.

Lobster dresses are incredibly rare to find, as is a decent fabric with them on. I'm very fussy with my fabric and I imagined in my head how I wanted it to look. On some of the fabrics I found online, the lobster was blue (blue lobsters? Really?) or they had a nautical theme which I didn't want. I was almost giving up hope.

Then as if by a miracle on Etsy- the home of where all my novelty fabrics come from these days- I found the perfect fabric from a seller called Fabricsagogo (great name too, I might add). Not only that, but the seller was based in England! And in Kent! Could this get any better?!! So, no waiting for weeks for the precious fabric to arrive which meant I had time to knock the dress out on the sewing machine the week before I went on holiday.

lobster12
lobster4
lobster15
lobster2
lobster3
Dress- Handmade using Simplicity Sewing Pattern 6723 | Fabric- Michael Miller at Fabricsagogo |
Sandals- Seawater
lobster13
lobster14
lobster6
lobster5
lobster8
lobster10
lobster11
lobster9

The dress pattern was made with Simplicity pattern 6723- I've used this one before for my Alice in Wonderland dress but decided on the different bodice part. These photos were taken on my 27th Birthday and a few hours after Jonathan proposed which kinda explains all the silly, giddy faces and jumping. It was a truly magical day, a day in which I found my lobster!

Get Lobster Inspired!

18 comments :

  1. Oh my goodness me, that dress is adorable. I do so wish I had the patience to make my own dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same about giraffes (although I don't eat them!) If I ever find a lovely piece of clothing covered in giraffes I'm a very happy girl :D

    Chloe x
    newgirlintoon.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous dress, you clever thing :) I've never tried lobster! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look super adorable in that dress--I have no words! Also that platter of food is the funniest combination I've seen, like the lobster is having a holiday on a tropical island or something before it gets eaten..

    Isn't it ironic that it used to be a poor man's dish and it's not associated with something only the wealthy can afford? I always found that really surprising, when learning of the history of lobster as food.

    Demi
    http://carbonchic.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  5. This dress is absolutely gorgeous. I am so impressed!
    Hayley
    Water Painted Dreams xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. This dress (and this whole post) is just adorable! You're so talented and I am just gonna explode with all the cuteness! Oh my days! I need a moment! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE lobster print stuff too! Great dress!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That dress is just so so fun, you look gorgeous Rebecca x

    holljc.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely photos, my whole family loves Lobsters but I have to say I've never been there biggest fans! The dress is lovely. I'm so jealous you can just whip up your own designs when you feel like it!

    Katie <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the print and the pattern you chose. Adorable! I think the photo with you and the lobster is the best.

    Kate, aka Thriftburgher

    ReplyDelete
  11. This dress is stunning! :) No wonder you look so happy <3 Gisforgingers xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look SO cute!! This dress is a wonder. And these photos are beautiful <3

    xox Sammi

    ReplyDelete
  13. First of all, congratulations! Second of all, gorgeous photos! I'm a first time commenter and basically... the lobsters made me ;) an amazing food but also, as you've proven, an amazing source of dresses! I wish I had the skill. CC x

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cute, the location is perfect for that dress <3

    The Quirky Queer

    ReplyDelete
  15. ha! I love friends and that dress is soooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such an adorable outfit! These photos are just great :D x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great dress. Lobsters rule. I also love blue lobsters. They're so cute. There are a few at The Deep aquarium in Hull

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've just come across your blog and WOW that dress is amazing! How cool are you!? I'm a sewing beginner but an avid crafter and this is so inspiring! Love it! xx

    ReplyDelete

Go on be lovely and drop me a comment full of sweet cinnamon. Don't be shy to follow and or message me on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram too! x

blog design by
MM
Sharing is caring- all photographs on the blog are taken by Rebecca Tan unless otherwise stated.
If you wish to use any of the following photographs please do not use without my permission or crediting
to my blog The Cinnamon Slipper.
Powered by Blogger.
Pin It button on image hover